Professor David Restrepo-Amariles
David Restrepo Amariles is Assistant Professor of Law at HEC Paris and Director of the Smart Law Hub. He teaches Law and Technology, Digital Transformation and Compliance, International Contracts and International Arbitration. He is director of research on Legal Metrics and SMART Law (Scientific Mathematical, Algorithmic, Risk and Technology driven law).
His work analyses the transformations of law and regulation in the global and digital society with a special focus on financial law, dispute resolution, international business transactions and corporate social responsibility. His research combines approaches from legal theory, empirical legal studies, and science and technology studies. He holds several academic and professional appointments. He is a member of the board of the European Incubator of the Brussels Bar Association and member of the scientific committee of the Pole numérique du Club de juristes. He is also co-chair of the CRN ‘Law and Development’ of the American Law and Society Association, and co-director of the working group on ‘Law and Development’ in the Research Committee of the Sociology of Law (RCSL) of the International Sociological Association. He is member of the editorial boards of the European Journal of Risk Regulation and the World Arbitration and Mediation Review.
He holds a Ph.D in Law from the Université Libre de Bruxelles, a LL.M summa cum laude from the Katholieke Universiteit Brussels and the European Academy of Legal Theory, a M.A. summa cum laude from the International Institute of Sociology of Law, and a valedictorian LL.B in Law from Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana. He conducted his post-doctoral research at the Centre for Socio-Legal Studies at the University of Oxford. He is a qualified lawyer to the Colombian Bar and has clerked at the regional judiciary.
- TechLaw (with Baker McKenzie), HEC Paris, LLM Law and International Management
- International Arbitration (with Dechert LLP), HEC Paris, LLM Law and International Management
- Digital Transformation and Compliance for Business, HEC Paris & Ecole Polytechnique, Master Big Data for Business
- Digital Transformation, Regulation and Compliance, HEC Paris, CEMS Programme
- Smart Law, Sciences Po Law School, Master on International Economic Law
- Smart Law, Université Paris II Panthéon Assas, DU Transformation Digital du Droit et LegalTech